Feature Wishlist

Coordinator
Jan 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM
Edited Jan 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM

What are the features you are missing?!
It works for quit well for me, so I need your feedback! :-)

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:45 AM

I'd love to see a fuller repo generator: I'd like to avoid hand-coded repositories if at all possible: the only custom code in your sample is the Added date in AddNote and that could handled elsewhere.

I've been working with ef4templates.codeplex.com which work well in that respect, but generates STE's rather than pure POCO's.

Would it be possible to add this ?

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:15 PM
Edited Apr 4, 2011 at 11:23 PM

The MockObjectSet<T>.AutoIncrementIdProperty() method assumes that my Id fields are of type int.  In our environment we have many Id fields which are guids (or even worse, strings). It would be nice if this were modified to handle Id properties of different types.

It would also be useful to be able to disable the autoincrement altogether for cases when it's not desired.

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

@utcyclist
Currently I’m not happy to define preprocessor definitions (DO_NOT_USE_UNITY and DO_NOT_INCLUDE_ EQUALITY_MEMBERS) for making switches. This makes more features difficulty to implement, since I can’t build a T4 template that fits to every requirement by default.

Solution A)
It would be much better to have any kind of graphical wizard to choose between different options that affect the T4 template and the generated code. Unfortunately my current projects to not include relational databases at all. So I have only spare time to research on that topic.

But if anybody could provide me with a feature toggle for T4 templates I could include feature request in a straightforward way.

Solution B)
Manual editing of the T4 template afterwards. Would this be acceptable, too?!

By the way:
I encourage everybody to submit patches or to request more rights to the SVN repository. I’m very open to include your suggestions to the project. (But time is rare, as always! ;-)

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2011 at 12:12 AM

@andiih

Wow, a full repository generator is some kind of the Holy Grail. There are so many ways of implementing even the basic CRUD operations. I’m sure that everybody expects something different from his repositories. (e.g. anemic vs. DDD)

On case that you already researched on that topic, I would suggest that you share your ideas or your current implementation of a “generic” repository. I’m open for every type of implementation!!

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:14 AM

At the time of writing I was looking for something to auto-generate my repo's. The ef4templates link works, but I didn't want/need STE's. I've "Settled" on http://efrepository.codeplex.com/ which gives me Add, Where, Delete for a given entity, and a Unit Of Work with Commit - which (just) covers the basics. A Get(var PK) would be useful, but not necessary as I can do it with Where, but it would save a couple of expressions :-)  I've built new projects AND reverse engineered old ones into this Repo architecture.  I really like the "codeless" class approach - all done with inheritance.

As for Anemic v DDD: I can create buddy classes to extend the functionality of my entities, or I can package them off As-Is into other layers, so I don't think this approach really forces as decision either way.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said "Full Repository Generator" - perhaps "Really Really Basic Building Blocks Repo Auto-Generator" would have been closer to the mark!